Welcome to a class of advanced English speaking that centers on questions of myth, symbolism and history.
Advanced Speaking Questions – Part 1
- Do you work for fun, for passion, or… to get dollars?
- Why is Game of Thrones so popular? Do you watch it? Do you like sword and sorcery and elves?
- Which of the series listed do you most love and most hate? Justify your position.
- Do you have satellite or cable TV? Are you happy with the service, what could they do to make it better?
- Why are vampires so popular?
- Would you be worried if your boyfriend was a big fan of the Twilight films? Why, why not?
- Do you believe in vampires, big foot, the Loch Ness monster, the Tooth Fairy, that Elvis is alive and well and living in Castelldefells? Why/why not?
- Do you, or have you ever, eaten any products with a strong element of blood. In England black pudding for example?
- Have you ever given blood? Do you think it is a good citizen’s duty to give blood?
- Have you ever visited Eastern Europe? Would you like to? Why, why not?
- Do you think the American nation looks more towards peace or war?
- Can you explain the significance of your local/national flag, emblem or that of your football team?
- Do you think men or women are better at looking after the family dollars?
- Do you think there will never be another big war like the first or second world war? Why/why not? If so, who do you think will be the participants?
- What’s the coolest thing you’ve ever seen in an art gallery or museum? (ref – advanced)
- Is there anything beautiful you constantly encounter that you are so used to you’ve stopped appreciating its beauty? Do you think if you lived with Brad Pitt or a beautiful woman even they would become ordinary after a while?
- What type of constitution does this country have? What ideals was this country founded on?
- Do you believe in the Greek Gods? Do you have a favourite Greek Myth? Which God are you most like?
- What other birds have symbolic or superstitious meanings? Name three and any stories you know associated with them.
- Have you ever seen the pyramids or any other wonders of the world? What do you think are the modern wonders of the world and why?
Thanks for attending this week’s class of advanced English speaking. See you next week.