Let’s get our tongues loose people and do another class of advanced English speaking. Is that cool with you? Glad to hear it…
Part 1 of the advanced English speaking class
- Do you worry about a machine taking your job? Is it possible?
- If supermarket checkout staff were replaced with machines would they have the right to destroy the machines?
- Would it be good for society if no one had to do jobs like road sweeping or factory work? (It would all be done by machine) What would non skilled workers do?
- What is your favourite Dick film, when did you see it, who did you see it with and why did you like it?
- Do you think the corporations have too much power? Do you think one day they will own everything?
- Have you seen Top Gun? Did it make you want to be a fighter pilot? Have you ever wanted to be in the armed forces?
- If you had to work in the film industry which job would you choose and why?
- What does your surname mean and is there any history behind it?
- What’s the longest you’ve gone without food? Would you be good at surviving in the wilderness. Why/why not?
- If you had to choose an extreme climate would you go for extreme heat or extreme cold? Explain your answer.
Part 2 of the advanced English speaking course
- Do you feel you are using your full intellectual and creative potential? If not, why not?
- Do you agree with the central argument of this text: that good general knowledge can improve your professional performance? How about specifically in our job?
- Do you agree that people with good general knowledge are more interesting to talk to? Or are they nerds?
- What three subjects would you like to know more about?
- What was the best and worst thing about the way you were taught and the way you learnt at school?
- How would you interpret the phrase “A lifelong commitment to learning?”
- Which social group suffers the most social prejudice in this country? Why?
- Would you like to climb Everest? Would you be capable? Are there any other extreme achievements that interest you?
- Who usually pays the bill when you have lunch? What’s the custom in this country for who pays if a man and a woman go out on a date? Should men hold the door open for women?
- Do you know who Snookie is? Tell us about the best and the worst reality TV star you know of.
Ok…now you’ve finished your weekly session of advanced English speaking you can chill out…but not for too long…we have more classes tomorrow.